PDA

View Full Version : ROM Trimming

Azn_Tomato
08-23-2007, 05:15 AM
So i just find out about ROM trimming which should make ROM's smaller in size and still work, provided it was provided by a 1337 h@xx012.
I'd like to know a good, trustable, and reliable ROM trimmer that i could use.
Thanks

timehawk
08-23-2007, 05:20 AM
There are at least two threads in this forum with attachment to rom trimmer's created by fellow Evo Users.
You have nothing to worry about in terms of corrupting rom files. As long as the original rom works, it will be fine.

Find one of them here:
http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408

Azn_Tomato
08-23-2007, 05:21 AM
Edit: Thanks, i used the NDS TokyoTrim. Works really good (i think...)
But Shane Monroe made it seem much better. T_T His site shows 8 games with savings of 133mb. I have 28 games with a saving of "only" 219. DARN YOU!!

timehawk
08-23-2007, 05:26 AM
Both of the trimmers found on this forum, have roughly the same ... "Reduction rates". I guess what I am trying to say is that the buffer zones for them are about the same.
I have had no problems with any of my trimmed roms.

Edit:
Well I would suppose that is because Shane included games like FFIII. Because as we all know, rom sizes go in powers of 2. So... if a game is ... 70 mb and rom takes up 128, that is a saving of 58 mb.... Well it works something like that anyways.

Shane R. Monroe
08-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Right, you can't expect savings of 100's of MB when your games are 4-32MB in size. Get the FFIIIs ... the Mech Assaults, etc.

At some point I'll take 300 roms, trim them all, and get the AVERAGE savings - which will make it easier to give people a more realistic idea what they can save.

Azn_Tomato
08-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Out of those 28 games, i think there are 4 with 128mb. But none of them saved more than 28.
And all my 64mb's were depressingly close to 64 MB, 63.6 was one. Very sad T_T.

Nintendude
08-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Maybe he was trimming US roms instead of EU roms?

I noticed almost all versions of a specific rom except for a few exceptions are "supposedly" the same size.

Yet the the US ones only have English on em' and the EU ones mostly have English, French, German & Spanish.

I would imagine the extra languages take up more of the roms "free space" that the trimmer trims.

I actually managed to save over 500mb off about 68 roms.
So all in all it's good stuff!

Azn_Tomato
08-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Maybe he was trimming US roms instead of EU roms?

I noticed almost all versions of a specific rom except for a few exceptions are "supposedly" the same size.

Yet the the US ones only have English on em' and the EU ones mostly have English, French, German & Spanish.

I would imagine the extra languages take up more of the roms "free space" that the trimmer trims.

I actually managed to save over 500mb off about 68 roms.
So all in all it's good stuff!

Ummm...what the heck are you talking about?
When did we start talking about European ROM's?

Nintendude
08-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Ummm...what the heck are you talking about?
When did we start talking about European ROM's?

Dunno' >_<

I have all Euro roms in case someone would rather play in Spanish. But hey that's just me.

Just trying to make the point about Euro roms probably end up being trimmed less then their US counterparts.

Don't mind me. Carry on...