PDA

View Full Version : PDF files on cyclo

magnoliafan
05-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey all, quick question. So I just got a few pdf files of various books and such and was wondering if there was a way to load them and read them on my evolution? Any help would be supremely appreciated.

comp1337n00b
05-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Maybe one of the ebook readers out there could do it? I'm not entirely sure if any can since I've never used any yet, but there is a possibility.

phantom_triforce
05-07-2008, 12:44 AM
My. God.

PDF on a DS? Not to be too harsh, but its simply not possible. Its just as outrageous as the NDS Opera browser supporting higher flash. (Youtube).

PDF viewing DRAINS a machine's resources. The Closest thing you can do is download one of these (http://fileforum.betanews.com/search?search=pdf+image) programs, convert the PDF to JPEG's and run the image(s) though the .cbds file creator (PictoDS, I believe). Then follow the instructions for ComicBook DS, and there you go. That is the closest way to currently get PDF's on your DS. (You could also simply use Moonshell to view the JPEG's, but CBDS has a better UI for multiple images ina group, which most PDF's are).

Hope that helped.

magnoliafan
05-07-2008, 12:52 AM
any suggestions for a mac user?

comp1337n00b
05-07-2008, 01:00 AM
any suggestions for a mac user?Well, I'm not a mac user at the moment, I'm on Linux. But whenever I need to use applications that were designed for Windows, WINE Windows "Emulator" (http://www.winehq.org/) is my best friend. Check it out, there is even a Mac version. Maybe it will work for what you need do, it usually runs most .exe files for me (and it is free and legal) :D

phantom_triforce
05-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Well, I'm not a mac user at the moment, I'm on Linux. But whenever I need to use applications that were designed for Windows, WINE Windows "Emulator" (http://www.winehq.org/) is my best friend. Check it out, there is even a Mac version. Maybe it will work for what you need do, it usually runs most .exe files for me (and it is free and legal) :D

Or he could try Bootcamp, but thats a different story. WINE should do the trick. I use it on my Ubuntu.

antiaverage
05-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Or he could try Bootcamp, but thats a different story. WINE should do the trick. I use it on my Ubuntu.

Actually, Parallels is a better alternative to WINE. Bootcamp is meant for dual booting your Mac with Windows, not emulation.

Anyway... if you're on Mac, you can open a PDF with Preview and then do a File > Save As... and save it as an image file.

HaTaX
05-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Could also look around for a freeware tiff printer and then convert the tiffs to a suitable format for the DS. Tiffs are easy to work with and processed quickly due to a lack of compression.

jonnay
05-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Download and install a program called "Ghostscript". This is a command line tool that can (amongst a host of other things) turn a PDF into a series of JPEG images. After that, you can use comicbookDs to actually view the files. No problem. I am using it to view a 500 page ebook, and its a tad slow, but still quite usable.

Ghostscript is available on most platforms, so you should be fine.

noblelement
05-07-2008, 02:25 PM
If you're using the pdf files primarily to read text, you can also convert them to .txt format and read them using moonshell. There should be an option in adobe to do this. After that, I usually open it in word or notepad, fix any errors and save it with the correct encoding.