PDA

View Full Version : anyone know of a homebrew that....

AsianMemories
08-31-2008, 01:08 AM
let's you go on the internet or at least act like a mouse for your computer? also, I would like for it to be able to just use the wifi connection (like how the opera browser does IIRC), becuase my parents set up the router and they forgot the pasword server stuff so i cant delete the router's firewall in order to give my ds access. meaning i cant use like win2ds or dsorganize's browser of dshobro. so anyone got any suggestions?

tl;dr - i need an internet homebrew that doesnt require the configurating your router's settings crap (as in the method wifi ds games use to get online)

fryfrog
08-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Every single router ever made has a "reset" button, I suggest you get intimatly familiar with it and put something small and pointy in. Generally you hold it down for ~30 sec and you are reset to defaults.

Pick a password you won't forget, perhaps write it on a sticky note and tape it to the underside of the router.

If you can't get on wireless, how *exactly* did you expect to get some internets on your DS? ****ing magic? I mean seriously. Hey, there is this way that anyone can get internet over wireless w/o having to configure anything or use your own connection. Nobody ever asked about it, so I didn't tell anyone.

Yeah right :p

b4andafter5
08-31-2008, 01:12 AM
There is one... but I'm certain its got tons of configure-your-router-crap.

AsianMemories
08-31-2008, 01:17 AM
I guess i should just reset it. If i do, what do i lose? settings wise? what else?

SolidusRegime
08-31-2008, 01:18 AM
let's you go on the internet or at least act like a mouse for your computer? also, I would like for it to be able to just use the wifi connection (like how the opera browser does IIRC), becuase my parents set up the router and they forgot the pasword server stuff so i cant delete the router's firewall in order to give my ds access. meaning i cant use like win2ds or dsorganize's browser of dshobro. so anyone got any suggestions?

tl;dr - i need an internet homebrew that doesnt require the configurating your router's settings crap (as in the method wifi ds games use to get online)

Just find out what your default gateway is then enter that into your web browser. For instance, 10.1.1.1 is mine.

Then it should load a login part, just enter "admin" as the username and password. Unless they have changed it, you should be in luck.

If you have problems doing that, post the model number for your router so we can get it fixed for you.

AsianMemories
08-31-2008, 01:22 AM
i know my gateway and all that. however, the username is changed and i've tried all the passwords i think might work but im still out of luck. my parents weren't/aren't very technically educated people so they dont know anything about the password they chose.

SolidusRegime
08-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Just hard reset your router. Normally you can do it and it brings it back to factory default settings. What router model do you have?

AsianMemories
08-31-2008, 01:26 AM
westell versalink model 327w
no one else in my family has fiddled with any settings or ports so if i hard reset it i shouldnt lose anyhting important right?

SolidusRegime
08-31-2008, 01:27 AM
westell versalink model 327w
no one else in my family has fiddled with any settings or ports so if i hard reset it i shouldnt lose anyhting important right?

No, you would have to just set it up again of course. ;)

AsianMemories
08-31-2008, 01:29 AM
alright so i guess i'll reset it. it wont take long to reconfigure the stuff right? i havent exactly done it before

fryfrog
08-31-2008, 01:30 AM
You'll lose your wireless SSID and your wireless password, if you don't know them you'll have to re-configure anyone using wireless. Other than that, you should be fine (assuming you didn't customize anything else).

AsianMemories
08-31-2008, 01:34 AM
i should be fine. Im pretty sure nothing was customized. thanks for your help guys

Wheeljack
08-31-2008, 01:37 AM
Cable/DSL-provider settings will be lost and have to be reentered. Otherwise you won't have internet at all.
Your parents have hopefully filed login and password from your provider somewhere.

(I'm not sure if there are great differences between providers in different countries... but maybe someone at the same provider can help, if you tell us with whom you're getting online)

AsianMemories
08-31-2008, 01:46 AM
Cable/DSL-provider settings will be lost and have to be reentered. Otherwise you won't have internet at all.
Your parents have hopefully filed login and password from your provider somewhere.

.....what? O_o
where would i be able to find this information? andim pretty sure my parents didnt file that stuff >.<

chiew
08-31-2008, 02:07 AM
wrong thread

SolidusRegime
08-31-2008, 02:10 AM
What do i need to use the Nintendo DS Browser?
I want to access the internet such as websites, from my DS

The game image file and a memory expansion device, such as an EZ Flash 3 in 1.

fryfrog
08-31-2008, 02:20 AM

(I'm not sure if there are great differences between providers in different countries... but maybe someone at the same provider can help, if you tell us with whom you're getting online)

DSL will generally have a login and password, but Cable typically does not. You know which of them you have? For me, when I had DSL the username was usually the first part of my email address with them and (totally lame) the password was my phone number.

b4andafter5
08-31-2008, 03:28 AM

.....what? O_o
where would i be able to find this information? andim pretty sure my parents didnt file that stuff >.<

Got cable? You're fine. DSL is a different story.

Rhith
08-31-2008, 03:39 AM
Rule of thumb, if it doesn't work, have the number of your Internet Service Provider on hand.

AsianMemories
08-31-2008, 12:13 PM
um it's dsl. so when you reset it the username and password also reset right? so what if no one ever changed the default name+p-word? would it stay the same? and if not then i should just try some obvious ones like admin, password, 1234 right?

fryfrog
08-31-2008, 12:36 PM
For linksys, I think the default is a blank username (ie literally nothing / "") with password of "admin"

You should just be able to google for your router model name and "default password" and almost certainly turn something up.

SolidusRegime
08-31-2008, 12:38 PM
www.portforward.com has big list of how to port forward your routers. But it shows you what the default username and password is in the tutorials.

cutterjohn
08-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, if you're parents aren't technically inclined I'd be highly skeptical that they actually changed the router admin pw from it's default. Either find the paper manual for the router or look it up on the mfg's site and it should have right in the front what the default pw is. IIRC for linksys both "username" & pw are admin.

Barring that you'll have to call(maybe try online live support if they have that too, as it'd likely be quicker, oh yeah and unless you sound young lie and say that you're your dad... if they ask... ow don't volunteer anything...) the DSL provider and find out the userid & pw to use to "log onto" the DSL "network". The userid may be on the bill, but you'd still need to find the pw, but surely your parents must have filed away the original paperwork somewhere...