Team Cyclops Forums  

Go Back   Team Cyclops Forums > CycloDS Evolution Discussion > Evolution Feature Requests

Old 09-18-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Use Slot 1 and Slot 2 memory as seperate drives

Remember those old Apple 1 computers, they had 2 floppy disk drives, and in some cases a program would use info from one disk and switch to the other. I wonder if a flash cart set would ever allow 2 micro sd cards to be treated like two separate drives, one in slot 1, the other in slot 2, then move and use files in between the two places.

That might be useful for high yield programs like fractal generators, or dealing with music and video libraries.

In general my view tends to take the DS, say what makes it different from a computer, then say, what can we do to lessen that difference.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM

This is already possible in homebrew using libfat, but since there's only one DLDI slot available in the current version of libfat, the second flash cart has to be one of the handful of cards that libfat natively supports (GBAMP, Supercard slot-2 or M3 slot-2, I think). And of course, there's not really any apps that support this feature since it's undocumented. There is a file browser available that lets you browse through the files on either card, but you can't actually do anything with the files yet except look at them.

I believe the necessary changes to libfat's source to allow for a dual DLDI system have already been made and there's probably even a compiled version floating around, but until most developers have this version, you won't see it being used. When DevkitARM r21 comes out, hopefully it will include this. DSOrganize, which is the main app it would be useful for, doesn't actually use libfat unfortunately, so it still wouldn't be supported in DSO, but I think DragonMinded wants to update his source to use libfat eventually anyway.

...word is bondage...